Friday, July 17, 2009

Video Memories of my Folks

July, 20th, Happy 68th Anniversary Mom & Dad. In memory. Lee & Flossie were married July 20th, 1941. They passed away before their 45th anniversary and have been gone now since 1986.

On their 28th anniversary (and a month and a half after I graduated from Imperial High School) there was the moon landing. I went outside with Mom. I don't know what I expected to see. Honestly, did I think I'd see them on the surface up there? No idea. There was a heavy haze ring around the moon. We didn't see that much in the desert and it seemed so strange. Just a special moment with them in the front yard on Imperial Ave.

Mom's Mother was only a couple of years older than my Dad. The Warners had come to the Imperial Valley as dust bowl Okies escaping the dust bowl of Oklahoma. Mom was a toddler then and My grandma told my Dad, "Lee, I'm saving this one for you". And Dad waited and when Mom was about 15 or so began a penpal long distance relationship with her. When she was 16, Dad went to Oklahoma and they got married.

I think it was the first time they had met face to face as adults. A story is the wedding party threw them in a creek in celebration. My Mom's sister, Maxine, said she was 'so mad at ol' Lee Stevenson' for taking her sister away. Mom was the oldest of 6 at the time. Eventually there were 10 living kids for the Warners (a son before Mom had died from whooping cough vaccination according to Grandma Iva Mae). A cousin of Mom's, Carlene Tilson, told me that they considered Mom a movie star in their eyes for marrying and going off to California.

Another story is that they were given a mattress for a wedding present and put it on top of the car. What a sight that must have been!

Give your Mom and Dad a hug or a call today if you still have them here.

My familytree history has 3000 members listed and is on ancestry.com.

These films are 3rd generation copies, from 8 mm to VHS tape to just shooting them off the tv screen with a digital camera. The quality is not good but I am thankful to have them and to share.
25th Surprise Anniversary Party. They had never had a real wedding cake
Jimmy home on leave. I think this was right before he left for Viet Nam. It shows all of us, Richard & Geneva and Becky was a toddler.

This one is my favorite of Mom. She hated this little clip of film. But I love it because it shows her sweet personality and funny side. It also shows Geneva in her Easter dress, bratty me, and Jimmy carrying a box. The peacocks had escaped from the Fairgrounds and we were trying to catch them.


No comments:

Post a Comment